DAVIS, WILLIAM G. (1846~1916) William G. Davis, President of the First National Bank of Grand View, Johnson County, Texas, is descended from a family of note in this country, and wherever its representatives have settled they have been recognized as prominent and influential members of society. William G. Davis is no exception to the rule, and is universally acknowledged as a leader by his constituents. His financial ability is proverbial, his energy and industry incontestible, and his moral integrity unreservedly admitted.
He was born in Madison county, Alabama, in 1846, and was the eldest son of Samuel K. Davis. He came to Johnson county with his parents in 1855, and with the exception of a short time spent in the army, attended subscription schools until 1866, after which he worked on his father's farm until 1870.
In 1864, he enlisted at Mansfield, Louisiana, in Company C, Twelfth Texas Cavalry, under Captain Haley and in Colonel Parsons' regiment, the latter aftterward becoming Brevet Brigadier General. Mr. Davis served principally in West Louisiana, in Mississippi and Arkansas, as a private, until the close of the war, when his command disbanded on Little River, this State, in May, 1865. He was principally engaged in skirmishing and scouting and was in no prominent engagements.
Returning home when the war closed, he attended school, as above stated. In 1870 he embarked in general merchandising with A. C. Scurlock, now of Cleburen, until about 1873, when he clerked for S. B. Allen, of that town, for one year. He afterward engaged in the stock business, and continues this at the present time. He was married in Austin, Texas, in 1878, to Miss Ella Chambers, daughter of J. P. and Elizabeth (Daniel) Chambers, both of whom died before their daughter's marriage. They have five children: Richard Stuart, James Gordon, William Roswell, Varner (daughter), and Jeanie. After his marriage Mr. Davis moved to a farm of 660 acres, situated four and a half miles east of town, where he resided until two years ago. At that time he moved to his present farm of sixty-five acres, located three-quarters of a mile east of Grand View. He still retains possession of his former farm, having 200 acres under cultivation. Owing to Mr. Davis' instrumentality, a bank was established in Grand View on August 7, 1890, of which he was elected president. To his influence and reputation for business ability and financial integrity, is due much of its prosperity.
He has been a member of Grand View Lodge, A. F. & A. M., since he was twenty-one years of age, and has taken all the degrees conferred by the Masonic order under the York Rite in this State, the order of High Priesthood having been conferred on him at Houston by the Grand Lodge. He served for six years as District Deputy Grand Master of the 31st District. Mr. Davis is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian church, of which he is an elder. Mrs. Davis belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church. His promotion to these responsible positions sufficiently indicate the esteem in which the people hold him, and this fact alone supercedes the necessity of our adding many words in this connection.
Source: Taken from "A Memorial and Biographical History of Johnson and Hill Counties, Texas," The Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago, 1892."