McCALL, JULIA QUAY (1938 ~ ). Julia Quay McCall was born on October 12, 1938, at Seton Hospital, Austin, Texas, to Margaret McFadden Williams and Herbert Higginbotham Williams. She graduated from the University of Texas with a Bachelor of Science degree.
Quay McCall’s grandparents were Quay Minter McFadden and Paul Webb McFadden who lived in Austin for over fifty years. Paul McFadden’s drugstore was established at 2300 Guadalupe in 1908 to serve the students and the community surrounding the University of Texas. Paul McFadden served as mayor of Austin from 1926 to 1933, and his administration inaugurated the city manager plan of government that serves Austin today. At the time of his death in 1946, he was a 32 degree Scottish Rite Mason and also president of Citizen State Bank. He and his wife were faithful members of First Southern Presbyterian Church in downtown Austin.
Quay McCall attended Pease School in Austin from 1943 to 1946 while her father was stationed in England and France as an officer in the Ordnance Corp. After World War II ended and her father returned in 1946, the family moved back to Comanche where she attended high school.
She met Terry McCall while they both were serving on the Freshman Orientation Committee under the leadership of Harley Clark. She belonged to Pi Beta Phi and was an advisor in Littlefield dormitory her sophomore year. She was tapped for Orange Jackets her sophomore year and was elected Sweetheart of Chi Phi fraternity. She and Terry McCall were married August 29, 1959, at the Baptist Church in Comanche.
After Judge McCall served his two years in the military, they moved to Houston where he joined Baker & Botts. In Houston, Quay McCall was active in the Pi Beta Phi Alumni Club, the Junior League of Houston, and served as a Girl Scout leader for a number of years. She was a member of the River Oaks Garden Club. She was the Bayou Bend Garden Chairman for three years. She served on the board of directors of the Museum of Fine Arts. Quay McCall also served on the board of the Voluntary Action Center of Houston that coordinated volunteers for the City of Houston. A devoted member of St. John the Divine Episcopal Church, she served as Altar Guild Treasurer for a number of years.
After moving to the ranch in Comanche, Quay McCall became an active member of the Altar Guild of St. Matthew Episcopal Church. She also was on the Vestry and was President of the Women of St. Matthew. In addition, she served for years on the board of Comanche Public Library, and was a member of the board of Friends of Historic Comanche that restored Comanche’s railroad depot to be the office of the chamber of commerce.