TUCKER, ALFRED P. (1839~1931) Alfred Tucker was born in Alabama in 1839. Tucker moved to Texas in 1848 and lived in Bright Star, Hopkins County where he was a member of the Baptist Church.
During the Civil War he belonged to Company F, 9th Texas Infantry. The 9th fought at the Battle of Shiloh, and fought with the Army of Tennessee for the majority of the War. Tucker joined the Confederate Army at Bright Star, Hopkins County, Texas on October 12, 1861. His unit was mustered into Confederate Service on December 1, 1861.
Tucker returned to Bright Star after the War and worked as a farmer. The town was renamed Sulphur Springs in 1871. He lived in Sulphur Springs for 50 or 60 years after the war except for a short time when he lived in Wharton County with his brother (name unknown). He also lived in El Campo, Texas for three years before he applied for a Confederate Pension.
He was a widowed farmer before he was admitted to the Confederate Men's Home from Sulphur Springs on June 8, 1917. He died at the Home on May 24, 1931 and was buried at the Texas State Cemetery.
Information taken from Texas State Cemetery file materials.